Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
PhD Student PBPK modelling of oral drug absorption in older adults (m/f/d)
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As part of the European Union (EU) funded H2020 Marie Curie Innovative Training Network AGePOP, we are seeking early stage researchers (ESR/PhD positions) (m/f/d) in the field of physiologically-based biopharmaceuticals. The AGePOP European training network will train 11 ESRs to become future experts (m/f/d) in drug development for the advanced-age population. With an open science philosophy and multidisciplinary strategy, the ESRs will collect the first ever dataset of physiological characteristics of the GI tract of older people and geriatric patients and develop novel in vitro and a model-based approach. The H2020-MSCA-ITN grant covers competitive salary, lab and conference expenses towards the completion of a PhD degree at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences of KU Leuven (supervision of Prof. Patrick Augustijns) and the applicant (m/f/d) must meet the admission requirements of KU Leuven for registration as PhD. The applicant (m/f/d) should be (at the date of recruitment) an early stage researcher (ESR) (m/f/d), i.e. in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of the research career and must not have a PhD degree. This is measured from the date when they obtained the degree which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country where the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided. Satisfy MSCA rules for trans-national mobility: the applicant (m/f/d) should not have resided in the country where the research training activities take place for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date and not have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in that country. In detail, you will be responsible for:
- Develop an open-source physiologically-based biopharmaceutical (PBB)/physiologically-based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) database by in vitro and in vivo data, distinguishing between age- and/or disease-related effects on drug absorption
- Generate evidence for PBB/PBPK modeling and simulation with respect to the elderly by defining salient case studies to qualify the approach for intended use
- Collaborate with universities, research institutes and industrial companies of the AGePOP consortium
- Participate in network-wide training events such as group meetings, seminars, and workshops as part of the Marie Curie First Training Network
- Participate in research visits and secondments to various network partners of the consortium
WHO YOU ARE
- Master degree in pharmacy, natural sciences, biomedical sciences, medicine (or equivalent that qualifies for doctoral studies)
- Broad knowledge in biopharmaceutics, formulation development and/or clinical pharmacology
- Experience with PBPK software tools, knowledge in Matlab or R programming are an advantage
- Outstanding problem-solving ability and willingness to undertake challenging scientific development
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
THE APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE
- Letter of motivation outlining why you should be considered for their preferred PhD position(s)
- A detailed CV-Europass format obligatory. This should include details such as education, work experience, skills, dissertations, research interests, career objectives, names and contact details of two referees (at least one academic), who are willing to be contacted about your potential suitability for the position, and/or list of publications if available
- A transcript of master studies’ grades (including the overall grade) if available
- Proof of English language proficiency, e.g. English language certificates for non-native speakers
- At least one letter of recommendation, preferably by the Master’s thesis supervisor
This is a fixed-term PhD contract for 36 months.
Are you looking for a new challenge where you can show your passion for innovation? Are you interested in working as part of a global team to improve people’s lives? Then send us your online application including cover letter, CV and references.
Bayer welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.
Reference Code: 334163
Functional Area: General Administration & Corporate Services