Application and Recruitment Process
Bayer AG, 51368 Leverkusen, Germany (hereinafter “us”, “our” and “we”), and as the case may be the respective affiliated company of the Bayer group offering the open position for which you want to apply for, wish to provide you with information on the processing of your personal data as set out below. Unless otherwise described in the following sections, we are the sole controller of your personal data. As we are located in Europe, the European General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”) applies to how your personal data is handled and processed by us during the application and recruitment process. The information below is being provided for transparency purposes under the GDPR.
1 Purposes of processing and categories of personal data
The following personal data will be processed for the following purposes:
• Candidate profile
To facilitate applications on vacant positions, process of selection and contract initiation we create candidate profiles within our talent acquisition systems, which may contain:
- Your private master data, e.g. name, address, private email and telephone number, date of birth, nationality
- Information about your qualifications you provided, e.g. educational background, work history, skills and competencies
- Application documents you provided, e.g. your CV, a resume, reference letters and/or a cover letter
In case you already are an employee of the Bayer group your candidate profile will be added by the following information from the HR systems:
- Your personnel number and CWID
- Your business contact details, e.g. email, telephone number and address
- Your current position, business unit and company
- Your current managers name and contact details
- Available slots in your business calendar (there will be no details as of title, participants etc. shared, the view will be limited to your availability. In case required - in your role as e.g. Hiring Manager you need to proactively authorize).
• Selection and recruitment
In order to make the selection for the vacant position and to fulfill the administrative tasks in the frame of the recruitment process (e.g. communication with you, interview scheduling, contract initiation, involvement of works council), the company of the Bayer group offering the position you applied for, will use the respective data from your candidate profile that is necessary in this respect. Such company is acting in this regard as sole controller of your respective personal data.
• Pro-active information about other job offers
On our registration site, you can optionally choose to be informed about other job offers in your country or world-wide. Based on your prior consent, we will use personal data from your candidate profile to identify job offers that may be of interest to you (especially information about your qualifications you provided, e.g. educational background, work history, skills and competencies) and we will use your e-mail address to provide you with the job offers.
To help match your candidate profile with a possible job position, we will use a profiling algorithm that looks at the skills in the job description and historical selection criteria to create the position calibration, supported by candidate pipelines and the match score of candidates and applicants. However, please be assured that no decision will be based solely on automated processing (no automated decision making).
• Subscription to our information on talent marketing activities
On our registration site, you may subscribe to receive more general insights about Bayer (invitation to events or open day sessions, forums, congresses, career insights, etc.) via e-mail or other electronic means (e.g. messaging apps, SMS, etc.). Based on your prior consent, we will use your contact information for providing you with such information.
• Special categories of personal data
If you provide us with special categories of personal data (in the meaning of Art. 9 GDPR), such as information concerning your health, these data will be used, based on your prior consent, for the above-mentioned purposes to the extent permitted by law.
2 Transfer of personal data
Beneath us and the company offering the open position, other affiliated companies of the Bayer group may access your personal data to process it on our behalf.
Furthermore, we will to some extent also use specialized service contractors providing services on our behalf, for the processing of your personal data, such as IT services. Currently this includes at least Eightfold AI Inc, 480 Ellis Street, Mountain View, CA 94043 (Talent Intelligent Platform) and SAP Deutschland SE & Co. KG/ Hasso-Plattner-Ring 7, 69190 Walldorf (Core HR Data and Applicant tracking system). Such service contractors are carefully selected and regularly monitored by us.
Based on respective data processing agreements, they will only process personal data in accordance with our instructions and for the purposes as specified in this Privacy Statement.
2.2 Third countries
Your personal data may be transferred to service contractors and or within the Bayer Group to a country for which the European Commission has not decided that it ensures an adequate level of data protection (e.g. USA). For such transfers, we have provided appropriate data privacy safeguards, such as standard contractual clauses on data privacy adopted by the European Commission. If you would like to obtain more information on such safeguards, please refer to our Data Privacy Manager. (see below)
3 Retention period for personal data
Your application documents will be stored for six months after the application process is finished and the position is filled (see below for country-specific deviations).
Your candidate profile will be stored as follows:
- If you select the option not to be informed about job offers, your candidate profile will be deleted corresponding to your application documents. If you apply for more than one positions, the latest application will trigger the deletion of your candidate profile.
- If you select the option to be informed about job offers, your candidate profile will be stored until you change this option.
- For active employees of the Bayer group, the candidate profile will not be deleted due to legitimate technical and organizational purposes. However, information provided by the data subject can be updated and removed from the candidate profile at any time through the editing function.
For positions in the following countries, the following deviating retention periods apply to the retention of application documents above:
- China: 10 years, starting with inactivity.
- Spain: 1 year, starting with inactivity.
- France: 3 years, starting with inactivity.
- Great Britain: 1 year, starting with inactivity.
- Japan: 3 years, starting with inactivity.
- Mexico: 1 year, starting with inactivity.
- United States of America: 4 years, starting with inactivity.
- Puerto Rico: 4 years, starting with inactivity.
- United Arab Emirates: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- Cyprus: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- Egypt: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- Iran: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- Jordan: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- Saudi Arabia: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- Poland: 5 years, starting with inactivity.
- Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and Cuba: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador and Colombia: 2 years, starting with inactivity.
- India: 1 year, starting with inactivity.
4 Legal basis for processing your personal data
|Purpose||Legal basis||Explanation||Is provisioning of personal data a statutory or contractual requirement?||Consequences of failure to provide personal data|
|Art. 6(1)(b) GDPR in conjunction with § 26(1) of the German Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG)||The data processing is necessary for the implementation of pre-contractual measures and the decision on the establishment of an employment relationship||No||A lack of data provision may hinder the establishment of the employment relationship|
|Selection and recruitment||
Art. 6(1)(b) GDPR (in conjunction with § 26(1) BDSG, if you apply on a position in Germany).
More Information on the legal basis of the processing for the purpose of selection and recruitment with regard to a position in a country or region outside of Germany can be found here
|The data processing is necessary for the implementation of pre-contractual measures and the decision on the establishment of an employment relationship||No||A lack of data provision may hinder the establishment of the employment relationship|
|Pro-active information about other job offers||Art. 6(1)(a) GDPR||The data processing is based on your consent||No||You might not use this service|
|Subscription to our information on talent marketing activities||Art. 6(1)(a) GDPR||The data processing is based on your consent||No||You might not use this service|
|Processing of special categories of personal data||Art. 6(1)(a) GDPR||The data processing is based on your consent||No||A lack of data provision may hinder the establishment of the employment relationship|
5 Information regarding your rights
The following rights are in general available to you according to applicable data privacy laws:
- Right of information about your personal data stored by us;
- Right to request the correction, deletion or restricted processing of your personal data;
- Right to object to a processing for reasons of our own legitimate interest, public interest, or profiling, unless we are able to proof that compelling, warranted reasons superseding your interests, rights and freedom exist, or that such processing is done for purposes of the assertion, exercise or defense of legal claims;
- Right to data portability;
- Right to file a complaint with a data protection authority;
- You may at any time with future effect withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data. If you wish to withdraw your consent, you can do so via our career web page under “search options and privacy” in your candidate profile, or by sending us an email at email@example.com.
Please note, however, that we reserve the right to enforce statutory restrictions on our part, for example if we are obliged to retain or process certain data, have an overriding interest or need the data for asserting claims.
When applying on a position in a country or region outside of Germany, you may have additional rights regarding your personal data. More information may be found here.
If you wish to exercise your rights, please address your request to the contact indicated below.
For any questions you may have with respect to data privacy, please contact: Bayer AG, Group Data Protection Officer, Kaiser Wilhelm Allee 1, 51368 Leverkusen, Germany, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. For specific questions regarding the processing of your personal data for the purpose of selection and recruitment with regard to a position in a country or region outside of Germany, please find more information here.
7 Amendment of Privacy Statement
We may update our Privacy Statement from time to time. Updates of our Privacy Statement will be published via link on our registration website. Any amendments become effective upon publication on our registration website. We therefore recommend that you regularly visit this Privacy Statement to keep yourself informed on possible updates.